Thursday, November 29, 2007

So Many, Many Books

Every nook and cranny of my house is piled with books. (Actually, I'm kind of suspicious of a house without any.) I usually read three at a time (sometimes more)-- a fiction book for pleasure; non-fiction for story research (right now I'm hooked on the Middle Ages); a book in Spanish or French to keep up my language skills; and then there's the perpetual stack of picture books from the library. (Let's not even get started on magazines...) It's not that I get bored easily-- I think it's rather that there is so much I want to read and not enough time. (Yes, I'm impatient... so many books... so many possibilities...) Obviously this is not exactly the fastest way to read. In fact, I've been wondering lately whether it is normal or even healthy! I'd love to hear what other people's reading habits are, if you'd like to share.

2 comments:

gail said...

I had to laugh about the magazines. I save them all. You know there might be some reference material in there somewhere. ;) It's pretty crazy. I'd say every horizontal surface in my house has stacks of books or magazines.

I don't think it's unusual to read more than one book at a time. I've got 5 one my nightstand right now. Two are books on the craft of writing. One is a book I won about rare bird sightings. (These I've only read bits and pieces of.) I just finished "Miss Spitfire". While I was reading that I started "Dear Genius" and "The Invention of Hugo Cabret". Oh, I guess that's 6 books. I won't even count the PB's from the library. Pretty perpetual here too.

Here's an old post I did on my blog showing my personal bookcase. (This one's in my studio. I have more in the house. In fact I bet one in every room but the kitchen.)

http://gailmakiwilson.blogspot.com/search/label/studio
Sorry I don't know how to insert a the link in the comment section.

gail

Jennifer Thermes said...

Gail- Wow- I LOVE your studio and shelves- looks far more organized than mine! And I'm glad to hear I'm not alone as far as the books are concerned. I forgot to mention books on writing craft- they are really addictive! I have one whole case devoted to those.