Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Running Lady



















Here's the finished art for a sketch from a while ago.

I'm actually rather pleased with how this turned out, which is saying a lot, because I'm usually ridiculously hard on myself (just ask my very patient family...)

One thing I did differently was to splurge and use 300lb. watercolor paper instead of 140lb. That's it-- I'm a convert! The extra pennies (okay, dollars) are so worth not battling with the paper (not to mention my psyche...) Funny how a slight change of material can make such a big change in my world...

7 comments:

Alicia PadrĂ³n said...

WOW Jennifer I love it too!!!
Colors are so gorgeous and wonderfully warm!
Have to try that 300 lb paper to see if I come up with something as nice as this ;o)

Jennifer Thermes said...

Thanks so much, Alicia!

Yes, try the paper! This one is Arches... the surface feels, I don't know... almost velvety.

Elizabeth said...

Good materials are a delight.
I could hang out very happily in an art supply store for ever - as long as it isn't Pearl Paint.

Jennifer Thermes said...

Me too, Elizabeth! Sadly they closed the big beautiful one we had nearby... to make room for yet another mattress store...

Christine Mercer-Vernon said...

HI Jennifer..Wonderful Illustrations! You are so talented. this is the first time i've visited your blog and it's wonderful. I am a huge fan of 300lb wc paper, i use Lanaquarelle's 300 lb hot press, it's silky smooth and let's me get crazy with detail when i work with w/c. beats stretching the paper, or fighting the wrinkles and curls with 140lb. you'll never go back!

Jennifer Thermes said...

Hi Christine-- Thanks for stopping by! I have some Lanaquarelle I'm going to try, too- I think it's cold press. It's a much brighter white than the Arches, so it should be interesting to see the difference. And yep-- no going back for me! I tried stretching the 140lb (again and again!) and the results were just... wobbly. :-)

Christine Mercer-Vernon said...

that's why i love it so much, i paint a lot of w/c florals and the bright white of the paper just makes the colors so vibrant!! Enjoy!!