Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Baby Turtles Everywhere

Look at what popped out of the ground a week ago... baby snapping turtles! I'd never seen such a thing.


















For about an hour, 8 or 9 of them slowly poked their heads out of a tiny hole in the grass, completely entangled together, and made their way one by one to the pond, in back. How did they know where to go?



























We'd seen the mama laying eggs at the beginning of summer in a rotted tree stump, far from where the babies hatched. If they were from the same eggs then she certainly faked us out!

10 comments:

Alicia PadrĂ³n said...

oh!! This is so amazing and beautiful!! Nature is truly something...

How did you ever see them in the grass if they are so tiny? Your dalmatian spotted them?

Jennifer Thermes said...

My husband actually saw them first-- there's a sandy part of the lawn that has a lot of little anthills, and he saw movement in one of them. So it was pure luck!

Barbara O'Connor said...

Oh wow! That is so cool!

I remember a few years ago I was walking along a cranberry bog with a friend and the night before, about 12 snapping turtles had made nests and laid eggs. (We walk that route every day - so knew it had happened suddenly.) Then the next day - almost all the eggs had been uprooted and eaten - I assume by raccoons or skunks or something. So it's great that those little guys made it into the world.

Unknown said...

AMAZING!!! these are amazing shots ...I loveeeeeeee turtles...they are so cute...

Jennifer Thermes said...

Oh, that's sad, Barbara! I wonder about their survival rate. We didn't keep track to see how many made it to the pond-- there are a lot of hawks around here-- but I'm sure a bunch of them did.

Glad you liked them, Diana! :-)

Lisa M Griffin said...

This is so amazing! What a wonderful moment to have experienced, and they are just adorable. Thanks for sharing and for stopping by my blog.

Vivian Mahoney said...

How cool. I'll have to show my kids this post. They're going to love the pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer Thermes said...

Hi Lisa-- Thanks-- it was pretty cool!

Hi Vivian-- It's fun to see the kid's reactions. Baby animals are hard to resist!

Julie said...

Cool! good thing they don't fly

Jennifer Thermes said...

Haha Julie, yeah! Not sure my nerves could take that anymore! ;-)