Monday, May 18, 2009

Monday Map: Read Along the Hudson























Here's a map I did recently for the Westchester Library System's summer reading program. The theme this year is 2009's Hudson River Quadricentennial celebration. (See the sketch below.)

This was a particularly fun project to work on, since I'm not only a huge fan of libraries, but also because I was reading World's End by T.C. Boyle at the same time. The libraries are going to be using this book in the summer for their community-wide read, since it takes place around the Hudson River Valley area. I highly recommend it-- Boyle has a rich and full and bizarrely fascinating way with words, and the book is full of quirky characters and history. Even though it's a fictional story, it grounded a sense of place in my head while I worked, if that makes sense!

4 comments:

Julie Caves said...

I love your concept. Such a clever way of combining the river and reading.

Jennifer Thermes said...

Thanks, Julie! :-)

Anonymous said...

I fell in LOVE with this poster the moment I saw it in the Ossining Public Library while visiting with my two boys. I am not only a mom andlover of children's books, but a 3rd grade teacher in Irvington-on-Hudson. How ever would I get only of your amazing posters to display in my classroom this September for the big 400 celebration?!? I hope you have some still availalbe. Your artwork (particularly for young children) is inviting, colorful and brilliant. Thank you for sharing!

Jennifer Thermes said...

Hi Anonymous-- Thank you so much for your kind words! Nice to wake up to on a Monday morning.

You can get a print of the map through my gallery at Imagekind. Here's the link: http://tinyurl.com/njuylo (If that doesn't work just go to Imagekind.com and search my name.)

So glad you like it! :-)