Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Work-In-Progress... continued

Here's the continuation of this piece. (Please excuse the dingy photos. I was aggravated with my scanner and put it in a time out. But you'll get the idea.)

After I transfer the sketch to watercolor paper, I darken up the pencil lines a bit more. I've tried laying in color before the pencil work, but somehow it never seems to come out right. This is probably the most relaxing part for me. I love pencils.















Then I start laying in light washes of color.















And a bit stronger here. I like building the colors up slowly. Maybe it's because it gives me the illusion of control over the watercolor, I don't know. (Working in watercolor is sort of like trying to control a cat... it only lets you think you're in charge!) But I've found this way leaves me more room to correct problems.















I go back and forth between color and building up the pencil lines and texture. Almost done.















Stay tuned for the finished piece!

4 comments:

Kelly Light said...

I like this little lady-bug!

sruble said...

Wonderful image Jennifer! Thanks for posting your process too. It's always fun to see how people do things.

Laura Zarrin said...

Beautiful! What type of pencil are you using? Graphite?

Jennifer Thermes said...

Thanks, Stephanie! I agree-- my favorite thing is seeing how other people work. Even if their style is completely different, there's so much to learn.

And thanks, Laura! I use Derwent and Prismacolor pencils and go back and forth between the two. A little black or dark brown-- kind of depends on my mood!